[j-nsp] BGP Multipath

Tim Vollebregt tim at interworx.nl
Thu Jul 18 19:45:58 EDT 2013

Hi Keith,

Yes, this sounds good. But to have the inbound/outbound traffic on the new 10GE link you will have to influence the path selection on both import and export policies.

A good way to do this is:

import policy:

set policy-options policy-statement upstream-in term 1GE from neighbor 1.1.1.1
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-in term 1GE then metric 1000
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-in term 1GE then accept
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-in term 10GE from neighbor 2.2.2.2
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-in term 10GE then metric 1
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-in term 10GE then accept

Of course this is just an example, you can use either accept or next policy and all other flavors of routing decision/filtering.

export policy:

set policy-options policy-statement upstream-out term 1GE to neighbor 1.1.1.1
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-out term 1GE then metric 1000
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-out term 1GE then accept
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-out term 10GE to neighbor 2.2.2.2
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-out term 10GE then metric 1
set policy-options policy-statement upstream-out term 10GE  then accept

Hopefully the upstream will honor the metrics you are setting on the outbound policy. Afterwards you can verify if all traffic moves from the 1GE to the 10GE port and when all is gone you can safely remove the 1GE neighbor statement(s).

Good luck.

Tim