[j-nsp] Fwd: Re: BGP Multipath

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Jul 21 01:31:19 EDT 2013

On Friday, July 19, 2013 07:34:32 PM Keith wrote:

> We actually do some local-pref on some other upstreams
> for outbound but discovered a small wrinkle
> in that the new connection uses a different bgp auth key
> so I have to create a new bgp group to handle this
> connection.

I'd normally use different MD5 passwords for different BGP
sessions, even though they are with to the same remote
network.

There's no hard & fast rule about this, however. Your
network. Your rules.

> So a new question arises, can I use existing
> import/export policy that is used on one bgp group
> already on
> a new one?

> My SRX240 (one of my lab devices) doesn't complain and my
> neighbors come up when I configure it on the
> lab stuff so I'm guessing our MX wont have a problem
> either.

Policy elements don't affect session elements. So yes, you
can re-use an existing policy on another session, and doing
so won't have any impact on the state of your sessions.

In fact, making your policies as generic as possible is a
scalable way to deploy BGP, because you keep the
configuration down to a minimum, reducing/eliminating room
for mistakes and clutter. This is a little more common on
exchange point peering sessions than with upstream ones, but
again, your network, your rules.

Cheers,

Mark.