[j-nsp] Understanding of a CoS statement

David Gee dave at infiltr8.com
Mon Jul 29 05:10:10 EDT 2013

Hi group,

I've just been refreshing myself on some CoS bits and pieces and came across
this statement:

"Note: When a source MAC address is learned, the frame that contains the
source MAC address is always sent out on queue 0 while egressing from the
network interface, irrespective of the classifier applied to the ingress
interface."

This isn't amazingly clear to me (or I'm being a bit stupid - it is Monday
after all). Can someone explain this in any detail? I imagine when they say
"learned" they're referring to ARP and the associated responses egressing
queue 0? I guess this makes sense if queue 0 becomes the priority queue
(i.e. expediting address learning as a priority function).

Thanks in advance (and sorry if this seems like a stupid question!).

David