[j-nsp] Inter-racks switch routing recommended practice

Wayne Tucker wayne at tuckerlabs.com
Wed Jun 5 20:13:22 EDT 2013

You should be able to run that many racks inside a single OSPF area -
in fact, multiple areas can result in a lot of type 3 LSAs if you do
not summarize properly.  You can improve initialization times and keep
the LSDB down to one LSA per router if you:

1.) Set the RVIs on the ToRs to passive (to keep type 2 LSAs from
being generated for the host subnets)
2.) Configure all of the ToR<->EX4550 links as point-to-point (ditto,
plus avoid the DR election delays)

At larger scales the frequency of LSA refreshes and SPF runs would
make multiple areas (or other solutions) worthwhile, but for these
platforms you're probably looking at hundreds of racks (or lots of
really flaky links ;) before that even begins to be a conern.

I can't think of anything BGP would provide that would be of
significant benefit based on what you've described - plus I believe it
requires additional licensing on those platforms.

:w