[j-nsp] Tracking VRF Targets

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Jun 11 05:26:53 EDT 2013

Hey thereŠ.

Subject line might be a bit confusing but here goes:

In our Juniper network, we have a growing number of LSP's.  Primarily
these LSP's are used for l2vpn connections and some VPLS.
In our l2vpn configurations we assign VRF information which might look
like this:

vrf-target target:12345:2049

We are adopting target:our_asn:vlan_number as our standard way of "naming"
these targets.  Obviously we want to avoid duplications across the
network.  Our eBGP connections are all community driven as well and we
want to avoid assigning VRF-target that may conflict with them.

Is there any suggested "tracking" options that folks use to ensure network
wide unique VRF targets are being assigned?  We could use a spreadsheet
(yuck) or build a database for this ­ just looking for feedback on how
others tackle this today.

Any/all feedback much appreciatedŠ

Paul