[j-nsp] BOOTP helper on MX vrf

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Jun 14 13:08:40 EDT 2013

> > Another problem with DHCP-relay is that, AFAIK, it causes _all_ dhcp
> > packets in every interface to be punted. So some transit DHCP packet
> > jetting through your router in unrelated interface gets punted.
> > I find this most unsatisfactory, but of course we're 'only one who has
> > complained about this'.
>
> Hi,
>
> I thought that was with bootp, not with dhcp-relay?

It definitely applies to dhcp-relay. We were trying out dhcp-relay
pretty early, and found a ton of bugs. I believe our testing (and I'm
sure others also) is what resulted in the "forward-snooped-clients"
and "overrides allow-snooped-clients" configuration knobs.

I agree that punting DHCP packets on unrelated interfaces is a pretty
horrible way of implementing it. We have complained about this loudly
and repeatedly. But so far no luck.

Steinar Haug, AS 2116