[j-nsp] optical transceivers recommended "Rx power" levels and signal measurement intervals

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 13:40:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

1) As I understand, XFP vendors store the recommended "Rx power" levels in
transceiver non-volatile memory during the manufacturing process and those
are read by switch/router over I2C bus. Are those values usually reliable?
I mean for example if "show interfaces diagnostics optics" displays that
transceiver has "Laser rx power low warning threshold" on -22.01 dBm, then
signal strength should be indeed sufficient as long as "Laser rx power" is
kept higher than -22.01 dBm?

2) At least in case of DPC-R-40GE-SFP line-card the "show interfaces
diagnostics optics" displays Rx average optical power for SFP's. What is
the measurement interval? I mean is it 10s average? 60s average?

regards,
Martin