[j-nsp] Junos 11.4R1.6 shipping on new EX-series switches, serious problems

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Sun Jun 23 18:55:10 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Gavin Henry <ghenry at suretec.co.uk> said:
>> We're getting two EX4200's and two MX5's delivered this week. Hope
>> they have the recommend JTAC versions on them!
>
> Why do you expect they will?  The recommended releases are not very old;
> it isn't like Juniper (or any other vendor) is going to pull back all
> the stock in the supply chain and reload the OS every time they change
> the recommended release.

I don't expect them to do that.  I just expect a Release version that
isn't so bad, that the CLI is unusable, to be installed on the
switches from the factory.  Sure, it may take some weeks to deplete
all the remaining inventory that still has 11.4R1 on it, and that's
fine.  Continuing to ship a version that is so broken is idiotic.

Yes, as Mark says, customers who have a clue are going to install a
different version anyway.  Not every customer has a clue.  Some might
expect the software that ships on a switch that has been out for 4+
years to basically work right.  The reason it doesn't is they seem to
change the shipping Junos only when a new extended support release
comes out, or when new EX switches come out that they want to be able
to stack with older ones "out of the box."  That would be fine if
those releases worked right.

Fix it, EX PMs!  This is a simple problem with a simple solution.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts