[j-nsp] what happens if HDD on routing-engine fails during the router operation?

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Tue Jun 25 18:21:37 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 06:27:29PM +0300, Martin T wrote:
> M and MX series routing-engines have HDD(or SSD) installed which has a
> UFS and is mounted to /var. /var directory contains many important
> sub-directories like "log" for log files, "crash" for core-dumps,
> "tmp" for some temporary files etc. However, what happens if HDD fails
> while the routing-engine is operational?

I've had this happen on an m20 RE...

> # Jun 25 12:04:01 init: can't chdir to /var/tmp/: No such file or directory

That sounds familure to hard drive failures.

Eventually, I had the RE crash, without gracefulrouting switchover kicking in.

The backup RE took up the slack though with a full route reload, but
everything kept on ticking after that.

I never looked over the watchdog setup or items.