[j-nsp] what happens if HDD on routing-engine fails during the router operation?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jun 26 06:33:22 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 08:35:07 AM Per Granath wrote:

> Did you try it with this configuration?
>
> chassis {
>     redundancy {
>         failover {
>             on-loss-of-keepalives;
>             on-disk-failure;

I've always wondered whether it is useful for a failover to
occur due to disk failure.

If a disk in the primary RE has failed, and chances are you
have the same one in the backup RE, the likelihood of
imminent failure is quite high due to shared fate.

I know some folk could decide to have different hardware
revisions so that they reduce their chances of shared-fate
failures, but this is too much work and might cause other
unrelated problems due to different hardware revisions of
each RE.

If the RE can keep chugging along even with disk failure,
but provide reasonable warning to the operator who can then
decide to institute manual failover in to replace the bad
disk or whole RE, that would be ideal. But then again, I
suppose NOT configuring 'on-disk-failure' achieves the same
thing.

Perhaps this was more meaningful when disks were less
reliable. I haven't had a disk fail on me on an RE before,
but my corner of the world is quite small.

Mark.