[j-nsp] SRX upgrade procedure -ready for enterprise?

Clay Haynes chaynes at centracomm.net
Fri Mar 8 18:08:03 EST 2013

I've had really good luck with the ICU Upgrade for branch series. You
upload the software package to the active SRX, run the commands, and it
handles copying the package to the backup unit and all reboots. There is
still a drop in traffic for up to 30 seconds, but for the most part it's
much safer than upgrading/rebooting both units simultaneously and praying
they come up properly. Again, ICU is supported on branch-series only, and
you have run 11.2r2 or later for it to be available.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/topics/task/operational/cha
ssis-cluster-upgrading-and-aborting-backup-and-primary-device-with-icu.html

I haven't had great luck on ISSU, but then again I don't have many
datacenter-series boxes to play with (300+ SRX650 and below, about 10
SRX1400 and above). I would follow this URL, and if you're running any of
these services in the respective code do not proceed with the ISSU:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB17946&actp=RSS

- Clay