[j-nsp] ability to turn USB port on/off for MX routing engine?

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:50:34 EDT 2013

I can see turning off USB from a security stand point, like disabling
console too....but then again in the event of needing to restore the device
that could be a big problem.

AND, if they have physical access, the war is already lost.

...Also, I don't think you should really be powering devices with your
routers? Just an opinion. Not exactly what its designed for.

Morgan

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Clarke Morledge <chmorl at wm.edu> wrote:

> To answer my own question, I found out from JTAC that the ability to turn
> off the power to the USB port on an MX routing engine is not possible
> because it is "not supported".
>
> I thought Junos was built on FreeBSD.   Aren't you supposed to be able to
> do just about anything you want with FreeBSD?
>

> Clarke Morledge
> College of William and Mary
> Information Technology - Network Engineering
> Jones Hall (Room 18)
> Williamsburg VA 23187

Thanks,
Morgan