[j-nsp] Am I carrying this route or not ?

Zehef Poto mpdechets at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 17:21:01 EDT 2013

Hey guys,

The question may seem very noobish and I'm very sorry if that's the case
indeed. I'm kind of junior when it comes to enterprise routing...

I just inherited our backbone. We're a small LIR, we have an AS. The
backbone consists of four MX80 routers, all acting as eBGP edge ones (there
are various IP transit links up and running on all of them). I also use
OSPF adjacencies, and iBGP. Again, all of this is very new to me, so I'm
learning little by little. Sorry about possible mistakes/errors.

The question is : how can I check if a particular route is being carried in
my backbone ? How can I make sure that's not the case ? I'm being suggested
to "use next-hop-self", but for some reason I can't fully understand what's
involved here...

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds,