[j-nsp] EX Switch Question

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Sun Mar 31 11:28:02 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
> no answer to Cisco's ASR1000. Even just for route
> reflection, I'd be very hard-pressed to choose a US$1 MX480
> with a 16GB RE over a Cisco ASR1001 costing ten thousand
> times the price.

These are all symptoms of Juniper's incompetent management.

* inability to manage supply chain & logistics, leading to 6 month
lead times on incredibly high-margin products
* essentially no software Q/A
* consistently failing to deliver on software commitments / roadmap
* big gaps in the product line that could be fixed easily, but aren't
* far worse TAC than competitors
* refusal to admit basic, obvious, and huge bugs exist so they can be fixed
* widespread ineptitude in the sales and sales-support force
* misplaced R&D efforts
* basic features that customers require missing from products *by
choice* while competitors have those features

Just problem #1 clearly demonstrates that upper-management has no idea
what they are doing.  They are managing their inventory like they're
making automobiles with razor-thin margins, not I.T. products which
sell for many multiples of the manufacturing and logistics cost.  Not
only that, but they have no systemic way for customers to expedite
orders (and generate revenue / additional margin from such expedites),
which is just leaving money on the table.

They cannot even solve the basic, easily-fixed problems with their
business.  I have little faith in Juniper's long-term future.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts