[j-nsp] auto-negotiation on 1000BASE-X ports

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Mon May 13 11:23:21 EDT 2013

Nick, Oliver:

by flow control you mean the 'regular' Ethernet flow control using the
PAUSE frame mechanism?

Olivier:

I wasn't aware that remote fault detection is part of the
autonegotiation. Thanks! I tested this out with two directly connected
Juniper M series routers and it works exactly as you described.
However, as I understand, JUNOS allows to enable auto-negotiation
while at the same keep the local interface online despite the fact
that link is unidirectional. I mean the [ auto-negotiation
remote-fault local-interface-online ] and [ auto-negotiation
remote-fault local-interface-offline ] options. For some reason, this
did not work: http://s8.postimg.org/nd5zyo0mr/autoneg_and_remote_fault.png
As you can see, both in case "Remote fault" "Online" or "Offline", the
local interfaces go down if link becomes unidirectional. Any comments
on this behavior?

regards,
Martin