[j-nsp] ISSU timeouts on MX upgrades due to large routing tables?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed May 22 02:38:40 EDT 2013

On (2013-05-21 21:01 -0400), Clarke Morledge wrote:

> I was curious to know if anyone has run into any issues with large
> routing tables on an MX causing ISSU upgrades to fail?

We banned ISSU from our network due to poor hit/miss ratio, not uncommonly
something strange would happen after ISSU.
Like firewall filter was programmed wrong, routes were blackholing.

But as far as I understand, ISSU on routers isn't useful in other vendors
gear either.

Even if ISSU would work in JNPR, it wouldn't be that useful to us, as it
can cause blackholing for several seconds, which is not something we can do
intentionally without announced maintenance windows, and if we do announce
maintenance window, we might as well do full reload.

--
  ++ytti