[j-nsp] [OT] unit-level vs interface-level description

Nick Kritsky nick.kritsky at gmail.com
Mon May 27 10:58:50 EDT 2013

Hi fellow J-users,

I hope I will not trigger some long-forgotten flame-war by that question.
But I do wonder: what are the best practices for interface/unit
descriptions?
Do you put them on interface-level or unit-level? Especially when you have
pure-L3 interface that only has "unit 0" with "family inet" on it.

Do you put description to interface level? Unit level? Or both levels? Or
do you put it on both levels but different descriptions?

I've seen people using different approaches, and I am just curious what's
driving them.

To be completely honest, this question is not entirely theoretical.
Recently I was writing some reporting scripts for my NetFlow data. And I
have noticed that InterfaceIn and InterfaceOut fields are populated with
unit-level ifIndex. And in my case that meant - no description. That made
me wonder if I am actually "doing it right" (TM)

thanks

nick