[j-nsp] "community set" vs "community add"

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Nov 1 01:32:04 EDT 2013

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:38:18 PM Michael Hallgren
wrote:

> I apologize for not having followed this thread in
> detail, but generally we've avoided to allow
> iBGP route reflectors to manipulate a fair amont of
> attributes in out policies... Now, this being
> in an Internet routing context, your VP* needs may be
> different? For my culture, please let
> know.

Modifying or updating communities on outbound sessions on
route reflectors is routine. If you're referring to other
BGP attributes, perhaps.

When running NG-MVPN on Juniper's, I had to rewrite the
communities that NG-MVPN's set on ingress or egress PE
routers because the routes that were reflected to Cisco
routers that didn't understand these communities - at the
time - meant they could not route unicast correctly within
the l3vpn's that carried the NG-MVPN traffic. Rewriting the
community (really, making it conform more to what Cisco
could understand) was a tricky, sneaky fix that worked.

IOS XE and IOS XR now have very good support for NG-MVPN's,
but I haven't checked how it would respond to such an issue
these days. Suffice it to say, that was IOS, then.

Mark.