[j-nsp] ng-mvpn problem

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Nov 4 09:45:51 EST 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 03:59:42PM -0600, Stacy W. Smith wrote:
> Because you are injecting traffic with ping and "bypass-routing interface lt-1/1/10.771" logical-system a is NOT the first-hop router. It's simply acting as a multicast source that's pumping traffic with destination IP 225.10.10.10 out the lt-1/1/10.771 interface.

I just ran into this issue myself and discovered that removing
"bypass-routing" for the first ping is another workaround that allows
Registers to be sent and the source to be learned by the provider RP.
Then you have to add "bypass-routing" back again so the native
multicast traffic flows correctly.

In my case, this wasn't an NG-MVPN scenario, just normal interdomain
PIM with C using the provider's RP.  I was pinging from C out the
C--->PE interface and because of the "bypass-routing" the local C
(also DR) wasn't generating PIM Registers to the P-RP so the P-RP
never learned about the source.  Removing "bypass-routing" allowed the
local C/DR to notice the traffic and encapsulate it to the P-RP.  This
was confirmed by looking at "show pim statistics" Register counters on
C/DR and P-RP.