[j-nsp] eBGP with internet provider from DataCenters

Dave Curado davec at curado.org
Fri Nov 15 12:14:29 EST 2013

Hi Yham,

FYI - I think one of my email messages on this thread didn't go out, the
body of the message was larger than
some threshold, and it requires a moderator approval.  (they'll get to
it at some point =-)
> can you comments on how AS-confederation will benefit more over having
> all BRs part of single public AS with iBGP peering with neighbors.
> Datacenter-1 one is already on public AS so it will be difficult to
> make changes.
> The only reason with two AS is architectural complexity when you
> suggest one AS for both DCs or do you think any routing issues can
> also be encounters.

The way your current topology uses a number of private-ASes, it starts
to look like a BGP confederation.
The benefit of a confederation is the ability to present your network as
a single AS, while internally using
a set of private ASes allowing a separation of administrative and policy
choices for each private AS.
But that flexibility does come with a bit more complexity.  (I'm sure
there are people on this list who
have worked with confederations and will hopefully chime in on this.)

Since the two BR-1/BR-2 pairs are interconnected, and one already has a
public ASN, making them all part
of the same ASN and putting an ibgp mesh into place would be relatively
easy, and would save
a second public ASN from being used.   At least, it looks relatively
easy to me, and that is attractive. =-)

HTHs,
Dave