[j-nsp] EX3300/EX4300 Licensing

James Jun james at towardex.com
Mon Nov 18 12:45:18 EST 2013

Yup, I hear ya, so does lot of other people.  Juniper nickel & diming with
this licensing BS on second generation EX series is already making a
battered platform full of software bugs and hardware limitations come out
even worse.  Arista seems to be looking better nowadays ;)

You know, second tier ISPs and hosting shops are hard-pressed to implement
BCP38 at customer ports as best practice.  Requiring a paid license to
enable sommething as simple as uRPF is Juniper's contribution to further
help discourage BCP38 implementation, imo.

Probably the most funny insult to injury that Juniper adds with this
licensing crap is that on platforms like EX3300 and 4300, the software is so
unstable, that you'd have to be stupid to be paying more for it.  In some
cases you could barely even download new image to upgrade the switch fresh
out of the box before it crashes.  Then when you do get it stable, turning
on simple features like VRRP, uRPF, etc requires you to pay to play.  Oh and
don't even think about trying IPv6 OSPF on EX3300, it instantly kernel
panics :P  (verified all recent JUNOS releases supporting IPv6 available for
that platform).

james