[j-nsp] [c-nsp] NTP Sources placement in MPLS network

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Nov 20 03:06:41 EST 2013

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 02:32:05 AM Jared Mauch
wrote:

> Everything you ask a router to do burdens it, including
> adding new prefixes, increasing traffic through natural
> growth and other things.

I'm happy to burden the data plane, because in basic terms,
that could mean that my business is growing (and no,
Cisco/Juniper, I'm not inviting you to write NTP processing
on line cards, thank you very much - but please do so for
BFD and friends).

My main concern is burdening the CPU, which, as we all know,
is not obviously fast on routers or switches.

Newer platforms like the Cisco NCS and evolving routing
engines from Juniper feature multi-core x86_64 CPU's that
could support virtualization at that layer (meaning they can
be reasonably burdened), but by and large, router CPU's are
nothing to write home about.

Mark.