[j-nsp] SSD disks high failure ratio ?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 03:17:16 EDT 2013

On 10/08/2013 12:58 AM, Pierre-Yves Maunier wrote:

> Does anyone knows what is the 'software solution' that 'has also been
> developed to correct the affected REs in the field' as said in the KB ?

Yes, that bit of the PR is annoyingly coy, isn't it?

JTAC told me:

"""
So, you need to perform the secure erase of the contents on the SSD to
fix this issue.
This secure erase is done by TAC and I will work with service manager of
this account to check how to move forward on this.
"""

This is just weird; it's not like a secure erase is some kind of
super-secret thing - just break into the shell from alternate boot media
and run the command - so why not document it for customers to self-perform?

I have to wonder if there's more to it than that.