[j-nsp] LACP/LAG

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:34:28 EDT 2013

I sometimes use LACP as well as a "poor man's BFD"; in the case of "the lights are on, but nobody's home" syndrome.

aka a situation where the physical link(s) may be up, but the control plane functions are dead at the far end. Without LACP control packets, you may inadvertently start trying to send traffic down a link where the other end isn't actually functional yet. That's a definite case, albeit for a single-link LACP.

If you can turn it on, and both sides support it, then I suggest using it; I haven't seen any harm IMHO.

- CK.