[j-nsp] LACP/LAG

Christopher E. Brown chris.brown at acsalaska.net
Thu Oct 17 18:20:26 EDT 2013

Unless you like losing traffic or looping traffic stay away from unconditional channeling.

There are a number of situations ranging from a failing linecard/port to a simple
misconfig that will leave the links up but not properly functional.

Possible issues...

All traffic going down link X is lost...

Far end thinks link1 and link2 are normal ports and creates a loop condition...

etc..

Use active signaling wherever possible...  Fast timing whereyou have good nodes doing
hardware offload, slow timing with less ideal boxen.

BTW: with LACP, Active v.s. Passive has to do with if we initiate LACP traffic, LACP v.s.
fixed on channeling is something else.