[j-nsp] Console server recommendations

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Sep 7 03:30:26 EDT 2013

On (2013-09-07 04:23 +0000), Luechtefeld, Daniel G wrote:

> My QFabric will need at least 24 terminal server ports for all the console ports. I'd like one with options for an OOB POTS and/or cellular modem. What are your recommendations?

This is quite common question, but more rarely are people listing features
they think are important in OOB. I'd love to hear that.

For me

a) persistently log what console ports output (good for post-mortem)

b) does not block connection to console, when one user connects (maybe NOC
guy connected there, and went to lunch, very handy if device will upon
connect offer a) share b) snoop c) disconnect existing user)

c) allows assigning IPv6 address to the console port and doing automatic
ssh forward to it, so if 'ssh box' is dead, connecting to console is as
easy as 'ssh box.oob', no need for training

d) allows easy way to send break, if JunOS is completely dead, you can get
to debugger via break and powercycle box, without physical access. However,
also it should guard from accidental breaks, maybe programmable
key-sequence which causes break to be send, but nothing else (I use ^B^R^K
in crisco)

e) way to monitor that when you'll need the OOB, it will actually work
(this probably is very hard to guarantee by vendor, you'll probably need to
just make script to periodically 'ssh box.oob, login, logout'.

f) device itself supports tacacs and CLI dumping+storing of config, for
easy replacement of defective unit

g) auto-sensing and/or software configurable pin-out

And long term, please include in your RFQ scoring item for _proper_ OOB,
separate OOB/MGMT CPU (like ilmi, cmp) not fate-sharing the control-plane.
Which has ethernet port, sshd, dhcp-client. So you'll just ssh in, reset
control-plane or for fresh box of factory, you ssh in, copy image and
base-config.

--
  ++ytti