[j-nsp] VPLS Multihoming on Junos - FEC confusion

Darren O'Connor darrenoc at outlook.com
Tue Sep 10 08:52:56 EDT 2013

That's my thought too. However even the 12.3 VPLS configuration guide states FEC128 multihoming. But again showing with BGP

Thanks
Darren
http://www.mellowd.co.uk/ccie

Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 23:30:08 +0300
Subject: Re: [j-nsp] VPLS Multihoming on Junos - FEC confusion
From: krasi at smartcom.bg
To: darrenoc at outlook.com
CC: juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net

Hello,
IMHO there is mess with docs/terms. FEC 128 multihoming as described has nothing to do with ldp. It's bgp signaling and autodiscovery.
Krasi

On 8 September 2013 22:37, Darren O'Connor <darrenoc at outlook.com> wrote:

Hi list.

I'm going over the VPLS multihoming options on Juniper's web site. I'm not concerned with LAG and MC-LAG for the moment.

As far as I'm aware, FEC128 is when you are using manual discovery of pseudowires (LDP) - FEC129 is when you are using BGP auto-discovery.

Juniper techpub for FEC129 multihoming I don't have a problem with as it shows how to multihome with BGP: https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/vpls-bgp-multihoming.html

The FEC128 multihome techpub says that you cannot enable LDP signalling, you have to use BGP signalling: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/usage-guidelines/vpns-configuring-vpls-multihoming.html

I know that you can use LDP for manual discovery and LDP will then signal VC labels. You can also use BGP for auto-discovery and LDP for VC label signalling. You can also use BGP for both.

What I don't get is how you could use FEC128 with BGP signalling. Junos doesn't give you the option to only signal through BGP but manual discovery through LDP.

So my question is, when exactly would the FEC128 config be used over the FEC129 config? If you are using BGP for signalling are you not using BGP for discovery at the same time?

Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding something.

Thanks

Darren

http://www.mellowd.co.uk/ccie