[j-nsp] Heterogeneous LACP link

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Mon Sep 16 14:55:50 EDT 2013

On 16/09/13 11:52, Laurent CARON wrote:
> Current setup: 2 VCs (one on each site) each composed of 2xEX4200-24T
>
> I have the possibility of having a redundant connection between 2
> buildings distant of ~10/15 km.
>
> The main link is a pair of dark fibers on which I'll use 40 km XFP modules.
>
> The second link is a WDM transport on which I plan to use 2 short reach
> monomode SFP's (one on each side).
>
> 2 questions:
> - Is it wise to mix SFP and XFP on the same LACP aggregate ?
> - Is it wise to mix 2 different technologies on a LACP aggregate
> (shuoldn't matter much, but I'd prefer hearing experiences ;)) ?

Others have answered well, but I think there's something missing.

It's not applicable in this case, but one other major thing to care
about on JNPR kit is that the ports share the same PFE type, for example
on MX mixing between DPC & MPC within a LAG is a bad idea, same for FPC3
vs FPC3-ES on T640/1600. They might *work*, but you're likely to
eventually run in to some ugly edge-cases.