[j-nsp] ICMP Type - IP Unreachable Notification

Harri Makela harri_makela at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 19 11:33:32 EDT 2013

Hi All

I have following ICMP type (ip unreachable notification) and I want to know if our MX/J series routers responds to this ICMP type or not. i.e. I have checked for another ICMP type  "ip mask reply" with following command and I don`t get anything response back which means JUNOS doesn`t reply for mask request.

sudo nping -icmp --icmp-type mask-request x.x.x.x --count 5

x.x.x.x is our internet facing IP address.

I am looking for something similar which I can try to get the behavior of JUNOS. I know if we want to block this type of ICMP , then we have to apply a filter which I really don`t want at the moment.

Thanks in adavance !!
Eddie