[j-nsp] Junos ospf question

Per Westerlund p1 at westerlund.se
Wed Sep 25 03:59:43 EDT 2013

I don't think overload-mode is what you want.

I used it once before I realized the consequences. It will, as i says in the docs, put itself into the mode "I cannot really be used for transit traffic any more, only send me traffic for my directly attached networks".

This is an OSPF setting (in this context), so OSPF will only advertise directly attached networks that have an interface participating in OSPF, actively or passively.

Non-native OSPF routes, such as static routes announced via OSPF (normally LSA type 5, external) will be immediately dropped from OSPF announcements while in overload-mode!

Caught me by surprise, that way I lost the only way to those networks ……

/Per