[j-nsp] Best device to fit for a project

Per Westerlund p1 at westerlund.se
Tue Apr 1 04:17:00 EDT 2014

Another possibility is a cluster of units to take care of the dual PSU requirement.

For the low end you can mount 2 SRX100 in a 1U tray, and make them a cluster. Will not handle 100Mbps IPsec, but will do 10 Mbps easily, perhaps 50 Mbps depending on how you count and configure (50 bidir is actually 100 in processing power etc). None of the branch SRX have crypto chip, all IPsec is done in CPU, have to watch that.

Clustered 220/240 would take care of dual PSU for 100 Mbps IPsec, but unfortunately two boxes.

I don’t have pricing available and don’t run any of these myself, but what about a small MX5 (or similar) with service-card (MS-MIC) for the hub site? It claims throughput of 9Gbps. Would that fit the bill instead of the bigger SRX boxes?

/Per

PS: With plain IPsec, no internet tunnel requirement, and SRX everywhere, you can use GDOI (Group VPN, Cisco: GET VPN), but unfortunately that does not work with clusters. Can’t have both right now, sorry. Saves lots of problems managing pre-shared keys etc.