[j-nsp] Best device to fit for a project

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Apr 2 08:36:33 EDT 2014

On Apr 1, 2014, at 2:37 AM, R S <dim0sal at hotmail.com> wrote:

> For a project (70 branch offices and 2 Headquarters connected in an hub&spoke topology with IPSEC over MPLS among branch and HQ) I’m looking for the best device which cover the following items:
>
> Branch:
> Single device
> At least two Ethernet interfaces (WAN/LAN)
> Ipsec supporting 10-50-100 Mbs
> Routing protocols such as BGP-OSPF
> NAT
> Redundant power supply (some site not but in principle I need it)
>
> HeadQuarter:
> Single device with XE intf
> At least two Ethernet interfaces (WAN/LAN)
> IPSEC supporting up to 7-10 Gbs of IPSEC (the sum of branches)
> Routing protocols such as BGP-OSPF
> NAT
> Redundant power supply
>
> Firewall is not needed, MPLS will be runned by the carrier, the devices and IPSEC are on-top of MPLS.
> I’m looking for the best solution in terms of scalability and price (very important).
>
> Also any advice with experience for the decision is appreciated.

If you're not opposed to something "newer", you may want to look at the UBNT EdgeRouter devices.

They're basically a Linux box with Vyatta on it, with the ability to do OpenVPN.

Because of the CLI, etc.. you can do automation/SDN against them.

They're also inexpensive and can support pluggable optics with the right "pro" model.  I know one person replacing their J2300 with this, and I similarly use one at home now.

Supports BGP/OSPF without issue.

- Jared