[j-nsp] Are IRB interfaces still not functional under SRX?

Keegan Holley no.spam at comcast.net
Sun Apr 6 12:51:22 EDT 2014

I’ve often wondered what the point of an IRB on an ethernet only platform is.  In the olden days IRB/CRB interfaces were used to bridge TDM interfaces into ethernet vlans to for the purposes of pure evil.  With ethernet you can just add your physical interfaces to the same vlan.  I suppose you could bridge two vlans together, but that’s better done by moving the physical interfaces.

I say this only to illustrate the fact that IRB’s are different than RVI’s, but probably unnecessary on an ethernet only platform.

The newer feature guide makes no mention of IRB’s.  I did find a page for 10.2 which confirms old info.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-security/junos-security10.2/junos-srx-jseries-support-reference/jd0e5921.html