[j-nsp] MX104 RE performance

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Apr 13 17:04:04 EDT 2014

> > Am looking at a new MX5 with upgrade licenses vs this
> > with 2 x 10G
>
> MX104 RE is PPC for now. May change in the future.
>
> MX104 has an RE advantage over the MX80, as there are two of
> them. But MX80 has better 10Gbps port density.

Don't expect the MX104 RE to be significantly faster than the MX80 RE.
It uses a slightly newer PPC processor (1.8 GHz Freescale e5500 vs
1.3 GHz Freescale e500v2) - but commit time for the MX104 is quite
comparable to the MX80.  The greatest advantages of the MX104, as I
see them, are:

- 4 Gbytes of memory instead of 2 Gbytes.
- Shallow cabinet that fits in ETSI rack (important for some of us).
- Possibility of redundant RE.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no