[j-nsp] Moving routes between VRF and inet.0

Alexander Arseniev arseniev at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 19 07:49:39 EDT 2014

In current JUNOS, it is not possible to export MP-BGP route from VRF to
inet.0.
This is due to the fact the MP-BGP route in VRF is a "secondary" one -
use "show route protocol bgp table floating extensive" to verify, check
out last few lines.
"Secondary" means it has been already exported once, from bgp.l3vpn.0
table to floating.inet.0 table.
In JUNOS, route export between tables can be done once only.
There are several workarounds though:
1/ use static with "next table inet.0"
2/ use lt- interfaces between inet.0 and floating.inet.0
3/ most complex one but also most flexible : announce this route from
originating PE twice - once as inet-vpn unicast route and second time as
inet-unicast.
The inet-vpn unicast route goes into VRF, inet unicast goes into inet.0.
You may also need to manipulate/rewrite inet unicast route nexthop, to
have it properly resolved.
HTH
Thanks
Alex