[j-nsp] MX104 RE performance

Blake Willis jnsp at 2112.net
Thu Apr 24 10:57:30 EDT 2014

On Sun Apr 13 2014, Gavin Henry wrote:

> Any news yet?

MX104 completed our dual-stack BGP convergence test approximately twice as fast
as MX80.  Both boxes were running 13.2R4.

Note that the RPD scheduling "fix" for PR836197
(http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog57/presentations/Tuesday/tue.lightning2.steenbergen.juniper-slowfib.pdf)
slowed convergence down a lot; MX104 under 13.2R4 runs our test in about the
same time (maybe a little faster) as MX80 under 11.4R7.

If you're looking seriously at the platform, you should ask your Juniper SE to
PoC one with your use-case.

> Am looking at a new MX5 with upgrade licenses vs this with 2 x 10G

The new 2x10GE + full L3 bundles are commercially quite interesting.  The only
less expensive MX is a base MX5 (if you don't need 10GE).

	However, one thing I found to be braindead on the MX104 was the lack of
dual flash chips or dual-root partitioning.  You simply can't snapshot on an RE
without a USB key stuck in the front.  ACX has a similar architecture & had
dual-root from FCS (and softupdates turned on too).  Hopefully journalled
softupdates will make this less painful one day, but it's still a glaring
omission (Juniper's continued lack of a useful AUX port on anything other than
the now-EoL JSR is also annoying, but remains merely an annoyance).

JTAC confirmed that this single-root architecture was an active engineering
decision, so if you're looking at MX104 and want to be able to "request system
snapshot" on this "hardened" platform without a USB key, then make sure your
salesperson & SE know about it...

---
 Blake Willis
 Network Engineering Consultant
 blake at 2112 dot net

  "Education enabling individuals to overcome their reluctance or inability to
take full advantage of technological advances and product innovation can be a
means of increasing economic opportunity."

   --Alan Greenspan