[j-nsp] Error with Juniper mibs, SNMPv2 Traps and mib-bgpmib.txt

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretec.co.uk
Mon Feb 17 14:58:56 EST 2014

On 10 February 2014 14:48, Gavin Henry <ghenry at suretec.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone experienced this? When our MX5's generate a BGP trap the
> corresponding bgptrap mib
> available from the Juniper website does not have the correct OID:
>
> Our error/trap is: bgpTraps.0.2
>
> In the file, there is no option '0' (zero) in there, here is a snippet
> of the mib file.
>
> bgpTraps OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { bgp 7 }
>
> bgpEstablished NOTIFICATION-TYPE
> OBJECTS { bgpPeerLastError,
> bgpPeerState }
> STATUS current
> DESCRIPTION
> "The BGP Established event is generated when
> the BGP FSM enters the ESTABLISHED state."
> ::= { bgpTraps 1 }
>
> bgpBackwardTransition NOTIFICATION-TYPE
> OBJECTS { bgpPeerLastError,
> bgpPeerState }
> STATUS current
> DESCRIPTION
> "The BGPBackwardTransition Event is generated
> when the BGP FSM moves from a higher numbered
> state to a lower numbered state."
> ::= { bgpTraps 2 }
>

> We have options 1 and 2, but no option 0.
>
> I can find a thread from Cisco from 1996 about this but Juniper are
> shipping the wrong mib or I've got the wrong one:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/current/msg07056.html
>
> I downloaded them from:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos123/juniper-mibs-12.3R5.7.tgz
>
> we're on 12.3R4.6 but have also checked:
>
> http://www.trapezenetworks.com/techpubs/software/junos/junos123/juniper-mibs-12.3R4.6.tgz

So just a follow up from a ridiculous JTAC response:

"have now confirmed with engineering team that in fact Junos still
utilizes the deprecated OID for bgpTrap. It is not an error on the MIB
file. The decision to maintain the deprecated is based on the fact
that we would like to maintain cross platform support with network
monitoring systems. The behavior you are seeing is the expected
behavior within Junos platforms."

Do they not understand that NMS use the mibs they ship and if their
mib is wrong the trap is not processed?

Totally confused. Where can I get the right mib from? Anyone?

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.

OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0x8CFBA8E6 - Import from hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
or http://www.suretecgroup.com/0x8CFBA8E6.gpg