[j-nsp] PoE for older Cisco IP Phones

Klaczko, Edwin EKlaczko at sd54.org
Wed Feb 19 13:00:09 EST 2014

I've been running predominately 7940's and 60s on EX2200 for a couple years now.  As was posted upthread, they do work, but there are a couple big caveats.  Because the 79x0's don't support LLDP these phones can't recognize a separate voice vlan without CDP.  If you're not separating your voice traffic then you're pretty much golden, assuming you are ok with not separating your voice traffic.  But if you are separating it then our workaround was to make every potential phone port a trunk port (set the access port as the native and tag the voice vlan).  Also you have to set the voice vlan (administrative vlan) on each phone to the vlan you want it to use.  Yes, we touched each phone.  Our phones don't move too much between vlans so this wasn't too big a deal; except for the initial effort.  This is also pretty easy to do so you could, we didn't, ask your end users to do this.  The phones do take a little longer to register, sometimes up to 5 minutes when they first power on.  This must be a timeout somewhere since resetting the admin vlan on the phone as it's searching connects you right away.

If you're still with me the next issue we ran into was with our E911 server.  Since Cisco's CER didn't support 3rd party switches we went with 911Enable's EGW.  We ran for a bit using L3 discovery and things worked well, but I needed to get L2 discovery working.  After all 911Enable supported Juniper EX's.  Well unfortunately their script to map MAC addresses from switchports scanned for trunk ports(which after all should be aggregation ports) and eliminated them from the scan.  They were quite shocked I was setting all my access ports to trunk, and I was shocked that they hadn't run across this with another customer.  I've got to say here is where I experienced service like I've never gotten before.  I got off the phone with one of their support engineers at around 2PM, they were going to take this problem up the chain.  She e-mailed me around 4PM asking for some logs and by 9AM the next day reached out to me with a solution.  Essentially they changed their L2 scanning script to not flag trunk ports, these have to be manually flagged after an initial scan of a switch.  Since this functionality is new it needs to be done via CLI, and they like to do this themselves.  So whenever I add switches and need to import them into EGW I need to open a ticket with them.  Not ideal, but since we have the in-house staff it's not too bad.

Eddie Klaczko