[j-nsp] proposed changes to "clear bgp neighbor"

Phil Shafer phil at juniper.net
Wed Feb 26 10:36:39 EST 2014

Juniper users,

We've been asked to make a change the "clear bgp neighbor" command
to make the neighbor or "all" argument mandatory.  The root cause
is the severe impact of "clear bgp neighbor" and the increasing
accidental use of this command without a specific neighbor.

In general, we avoid changing commands to add mandatory arguments,
but my feeling is that the impact and severity of this specific
command makes this an acceptable occasion for such a change.

I'm looking for feedback about this change.  My working assumption
is that "clear bgp neighbor" is a sufficiently rare command and
would not be used in automation/scripts, so the impact of making
the neighbor/all argument mandatory would be minimal.  Is this
assumption accurate?

Thanks,
 Phil

[I've set reply-to to myself to avoid impacting the list]