[j-nsp] proposed changes to "clear bgp neighbor"

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Feb 27 11:55:09 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:36:39AM -0500, Phil Shafer wrote:
> Juniper users,
>
> We've been asked to make a change the "clear bgp neighbor" command
> to make the neighbor or "all" argument mandatory.  The root cause
> is the severe impact of "clear bgp neighbor" and the increasing
> accidental use of this command without a specific neighbor.
>
> In general, we avoid changing commands to add mandatory arguments,
> but my feeling is that the impact and severity of this specific
> command makes this an acceptable occasion for such a change.
>
> I'm looking for feedback about this change.  My working assumption
> is that "clear bgp neighbor" is a sufficiently rare command and
> would not be used in automation/scripts, so the impact of making
> the neighbor/all argument mandatory would be minimal.  Is this
> assumption accurate?

Personally I'd support this, either through requiring an "all", or
adding a yes/no confirmation after executing the command (which sounds
like it would solve the problem for those silly humans, without
impacting the scripting interfaces as badly). This is a sufficiently
rare command in a "good" way that you should really have some form of
additional error check, just like "delete" from the top level of the
config.