[j-nsp] VPLS: site-range

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Tue Jan 7 19:21:31 EST 2014

Hi all,

Could someone validate my understanding (or lack of) about the purpose
of the "site-range" command...

>From the reading around I have done, the site-range basically
indicates how many sites maximum can/should exist for a given VPLS.
This tells the routers how many labels should be reserved for
conveying data between each PE that has a site that is part of a given
VPLS.

If I say "site-range 10" then I shouldnt/cant provision more than 10
sites for that VPLS, because insufficient labels will have been
reserved for conveying data between any PE routers beyond the first
10, and thus those sites will be unreachable.

Suppose I configure all of my VPLS instances with "site-range 10"
initially, if I need to add more sites later, I just need to go back
and re-configure each VPLS instance to increase the number
appropriately?

I hope that makes sense...

The default site-range value seems to be somewhere up in the 65,000's
which from my reading is bad, because 65k labels will be reserved for
that instance, which could be pretty wasteful if the VPLS only has 3-4
sites.

Thanks