[j-nsp] NTP Reflection

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jan 14 10:33:00 EST 2014

On (2014-01-14 14:36 +0000), Per Granath wrote:

> # show firewall
> firewall {
>    family inet {
>       filter protect_RE {
>          term NTP {
>             from {
>                source-prefix-list {
>                   ntp-servers;
>                   lo0.0-inet-address;
>               }
>            protocol udp;
>            port ntp;
>            }
>           then accept;
>     }
> }

There are two potential problems here

a) if NTP servers are not fully trusted (why grant them more trust than you
must?) then NTP server can access any UDP service on box by setting source to
NTP port

b) destination address should always be included, you know that you talk to
NTP from loop, so don't allow packets to other addresses. Why? Because you
control what addresses are in your router, but you cannot always control
source address (L3MPLS VPN it is typically trusted, so customer can add/remove
addresses). This is not usually problem, customer can only reach the PE
logical interface facing customer, but if they can change source, they can
pretend to be your NTP source and can hit your control-plane. If you verify
destination address, they can't (I presume you never configure core loopbacks
in customer linknetworks)