[j-nsp] VLAN sub-ints and VPLS

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Fri Jan 17 19:16:08 EST 2014

Hi everyone.

Im playing around with VPLS between 3x SRX240's and looking for a little info.

Ive got an interface configured as such:

ge-0/0/12 {
    vlan-tagging;
    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
    unit 123 {
        encapsulation vlan-vpls;
        vlan-id 123;
    }
}

And between two sites in my VPLS this is working just fine, I can ping
across between two devices configured with sub-ints in VLAN 123. Happy
days.

Q1. With this configuration am I right in thinking that the VLAN ID is
maintained within the frame as it is transported across the VPLS? Or
does it get popped on input at the source site, transported as a
"regular ethernet frame", and then the VLAN ID is pushed on output at
the destination site?

The reason I ask is what I'd like to do is take an interface at a 3rd
site, and push/pop on in/ouput to produce effectively an "access
port".

Ive been toying with a configuration like this for the 3rd site based
on examples Ive found:

ge-0/0/12 {
    encapsulation ethernet-vpls;
    unit 0 {
        encapsulation vlan-vpls;
        input-vlan-map {
            push;
            tag-protocol-id 0x8100;
            vlan-id 123;
        }
        output-vlan-map pop;
        family vpls;
    }
}

but I dont seem to be able to get the right combination of
encapsulations and other settings to be able to commit.

Q2. Does anyone have a working example I could look at?

Or have I complicated this and I only need to set the native VLAN ID
and let the SRX take care of the push/pop automagically? I havent
actually tried that yet as I litterally just thought about it, but Im
about to crash in bed.

Also, are VPLS and L2VPN the same thing or different? Once source I
read said L2VPN is ptp while VPLS is ptmp.

Thanks!