[j-nsp] VLAN sub-ints and VPLS

Will Orton will at loopfree.net
Sun Jan 19 23:01:56 EST 2014

> ge-0/0/12 {
>     encapsulation ethernet-vpls;
>     unit 0 {
>         encapsulation vlan-vpls;
>         input-vlan-map {
>             push;
>             tag-protocol-id 0x8100;
>             vlan-id 123;
>         }
>         output-vlan-map pop;
>         family vpls;
>     }
>
> but I dont seem to be able to get the right combination of
> encapsulations and other settings to be able to commit.
>
> Q2. Does anyone have a working example I could look at?

This works for me on MX to swap .1q 2700 to 603 in the VPLS.

    ge-1/0/4 {
        flexible-vlan-tagging; // plain vlan-tagging would be ok too
        encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
        unit 2700 {
            encapsulation vlan-vpls;
            vlan-tags outer 2700;
            input-vlan-map {
                swap;
                vlan-id 603;
            }
            output-vlan-map swap;
            family vpls;
        }

So your example looks okay except the encaps on the phys interface.
I haven't tried on SRX (yet); not sure what is correct if you don't
want or can't do flexible-ethernet-services.

> Also, are VPLS and L2VPN the same thing or different? Once source I
> read said L2VPN is ptp while VPLS is ptmp.

That's basically it. VPLS being multi-point means your PE routers are
mac-learning, snd you can of course have a full range of issue like
layer-2 loops (hence STP coming into play sometimes too). l2vpn is
simpler.

-Will