[j-nsp] MX960 ARP issues

Gordon Smith gordon at gswsystems.com
Wed Jan 29 00:41:22 EST 2014

 On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:27:13 -0700, John Neiberger wrote:
> I'll preface this question by saying that I don't think this is a
> problem on the router, but I'm stumped and I'm curious if anyone else
> has run into this. We have a Cisco 4948 with two uplinks to different
> MX960s we'll call RouterA and Router B. There are a few linux servers
> connected to the switch. We have good layer two connectivity between
> the routers through this vlan, evidenced by good ARP tables,
> responsive pings, and since VRRP is working correctly.
>
> The problem is that the linux servers only respond to ARP requests
> from RouterA. When RouterB sends an ARP request, the servers never
> see
> it. Packet captures done on the servers don't even show the packets
> arriving. I know they are because ARP is working between the routers
> and we also have an SVI on the switch in the same VLAN. We have no
> problems with ARP and those other devices. It is only these linux
> servers that don't see these particular requests.
>
> I've used "monitor traffic" to verify that the ARP requests are
> leaving the router. I also tried setting a static ARP for one of the
> servers and I was able to ping it, so we know the path is good. I
> don't know much about linux system administration, but I did ask them
> to check if iptables or arptables were running and they said no.
>
> The reason I'm nearly certain this has to be their problem is this:
> if
> they reboot their servers, they will respond to ARP requests for a
> short time and then they stop. That tells me that something running
> on
> the server must be blocking ARP requests, but why only from one
> router? It's very unusual. We've been working on this off and on for
> few weeks and haven't been able to nail down the root cause.
>
> Any ideas? Have any of you seen anything like this before?

 I'd suggest looking at a couple of things...

 First, the arp cache cache timers on both the switch & routers.
 From memory, Cisco & juniper differed in when the arp cache was
 expired.

 On the router side, it'd be worth checking if accept-data is enabled at
 the interface level.
 Turning on passive learning may also be worth considering
 http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/topics/task/configuration/arp-learning-aging-options-configuring.html

 Cheers,
 Gordon