[j-nsp] MX960 ARP issues

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Wed Jan 29 11:08:20 EST 2014

Once upon a time, John Neiberger <jneiberger at gmail.com> said:
> Passive learning is an interesting thought, but I'd still like to find
> the root cause of the problem: why don't the IP addresses respond to
> ARP requests from only this router? I'm nearly certain it's a server
> issue but I haven't encountered anything quite like this before.

On Linux, packet capture is handled in the network stack before any
filter/firewall (so tcpdump will show things that iptables blocks).  So,
if packet capture on the server never shows the ARP request, the problem
is upstream from the server.

If you also see the packet leaving the router, that only leaves the
switch(es) in between as the culprit.

This is a case where it is handy to have a Linux notebook with multiple
network interfaces (I have a Thinkpad with a built-in gigE and an
ExpressCard gigE added).  You can bridge them, and then plug in between
two arbitrary ethernet devices and see for sure what is on the wire.

If the packets go through for a short time after a reboot, I'd suspect
the switch is resetting something after a link state change and then
forgetting about it after a timer runs out.
--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>