[j-nsp] Could you pls clarify a bit about OAM for link fault management?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Jul 22 13:11:49 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 12:25:40PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > > I have come to the conclusion that
> > >
> > > "set protocols mstp interface ge-0/0/22.0 bpdu-timeout-action block"
> > >
> > > might do the trick as well if configured on all interfaces connected to
> > > the MUXes.
> >
> > That would only work on the upstream interface facing the root bridge
> > where it is expected that it receive BPDUs.
>
> Still, if I enable "bpdu-timeout-action block" on every interface
> facing the MUX (and therefore facing each other), I am probably safe?

In my experiece, if an interface configured with "bpdu-timeout-action
block" stops receiving BPDUs, it will block :-) I don't recall what
happens if it never receives a single BPDU initially (as a
non-root-facing port should experience since it should be sending
BPDUs not receiving them), but you are setting yourself up for pain if
it later does receive a BPDU, then stops receiving them.  There may be
transient conditions in a MSTP network where this happens.