[j-nsp] Junos 12.3 more strict about 3rd party optics?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Jun 10 09:14:27 EDT 2014

Is Junos 12.3 more strict about 3rd party MSA optics than 11.4?  I've
been using 3rd party MSA optics in EX without troubles, including DOM
support working fine.  I just deployed a new EX4200 VC with 12.3R6,
and the DOM isn't working on the 3rd party MSA optics (but the link
comes up and works), but those same optics work with DOM on an MX
running 11.4.  Interesting that it says "unknown cable" whereas my
other 3rd party CWDM SFP+ optics say "10GBASE-LR" there.

EX4200 12.3R6:

> show interfaces diagnostics optics xe-2/1/0
Physical interface: xe-2/1/0
    Optical diagnostics                       :  N/A

> show chassis pic fpc-slot 2 pic-slot 1
FPC slot 2, PIC slot 1 information:
  Type                             2x 10GE SFP+
  State                            Online
  PIC version                  1.7
  Uptime                         3 days, 18 hours, 19 minutes, 38 seconds

PIC port information:
                         Fiber                    Xcvr vendor       Wave-    Xcvr
  Port Cable type        type  Xcvr vendor        part number       length   Firmware
  0    unknown cable     n/a   INTEGRA NETWORKS   SFPP-C51-80-10GD  1510 nm  0.0

Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description
    Xcvr 0                UNKNOWN      EOSExxxxxxxx      UNKNOWN

MX960 11.4R8:

# run show interfaces diagnostics optics xe-2/0/3
Physical interface: xe-2/0/3
    Laser bias current                        :  75.402 mA
    Laser output power                        :  1.1290 mW / 0.53 dBm
    Module temperature                        :  43 degrees C / 109 degrees F
    Module voltage                            :  3.2470 V
    Receiver signal average optical power     :  0.0317 mW / -14.99 dBm
    Laser bias current high alarm             :  Off
    Laser bias current low alarm              :  Off
    Laser bias current high warning           :  Off
    Laser bias current low warning            :  Off
    Laser output power high alarm             :  Off
    Laser output power low alarm              :  Off
    Laser output power high warning           :  Off
    Laser output power low warning            :  Off
    Module temperature high alarm             :  Off
    Module temperature low alarm              :  Off
    Module temperature high warning           :  Off
    Module temperature low warning            :  Off
    Module voltage high alarm                 :  Off
    Module voltage low alarm                  :  Off
    Module voltage high warning               :  Off
    Module voltage low warning                :  Off
    Laser rx power high alarm                 :  Off
    Laser rx power low alarm                  :  Off
    Laser rx power high warning               :  Off
    Laser rx power low warning                :  Off
    Laser bias current high alarm threshold   :  120.000 mA
    Laser bias current low alarm threshold    :  30.000 mA
    Laser bias current high warning threshold :  110.000 mA
    Laser bias current low warning threshold  :  35.000 mA
    Laser output power high alarm threshold   :  5.0110 mW / 7.00 dBm
    Laser output power low alarm threshold    :  0.6310 mW / -2.00 dBm
    Laser output power high warning threshold :  3.9810 mW / 6.00 dBm
    Laser output power low warning threshold  :  0.7940 mW / -1.00 dBm
    Module temperature high alarm threshold   :  90 degrees C / 194 degrees F
    Module temperature low alarm threshold    :  -15 degrees C / 5 degrees F
    Module temperature high warning threshold :  85 degrees C / 185 degrees F
    Module temperature low warning threshold  :  -10 degrees C / 14 degrees F
    Module voltage high alarm threshold       :  3.600 V
    Module voltage low alarm threshold        :  3.000 V
    Module voltage high warning threshold     :  3.500 V
    Module voltage low warning threshold      :  3.050 V
    Laser rx power high alarm threshold       :  0.1585 mW / -8.00 dBm
    Laser rx power low alarm threshold        :  0.0013 mW / -28.86 dBm
    Laser rx power high warning threshold     :  0.1259 mW / -9.00 dBm
    Laser rx power low warning threshold      :  0.0016 mW / -27.96 dBm

# run show chassis pic fpc-slot 2 pic-slot 0
FPC slot 2, PIC slot 0 information:
  Type                             4x 10GE(LAN) SFP+
  State                            Online
  PIC version                  0.0
  Uptime                         82 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes, 19 seconds

PIC port information:
                          Fiber                    Xcvr vendor
  Port  Cable type        type  Xcvr vendor        part number       Wavelength
  0     10GBASE LR        SM    FINISAR CORP.      FTLX1471D3BNL-J1  1310 nm
  1     10GBASE LR        SM    FINISAR CORP.      FTLX1471D3BNL-J1  1310 nm
  2     10GBASE LR        SM    FINISAR CORP.      FTLX1471D3BNL-J1  1310 nm
  3     UNKNOWN CABLE     n/a   INTEGRA NETWORKS   SFPP-C51-80-10GD  1510 nm

Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description
    Xcvr 3                NON-JNPR     EOSExxxxxxxx      UNSUPPORTED