[j-nsp] Netconf & namespaces

Tyler Christiansen tyler.christiansen at adap.tv
Thu Jun 12 11:38:18 EDT 2014

What are you trying to accomplish?  It may be easier to use the Juniper
Netconf Ruby gem or the Python junos-eznc module depending on your
background and goals.

--tc

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>
wrote:

> All,
>
> We've got some code to talk junoscript, but it's run into problems because
> the XML parser turns out to not reliably deliver start/end tag events to
> upper layers - it is dependent on the "chunking" of input data :o(
>
> To sidestep this difficulty, I started to look at Netconf, which of course
> is separate XML documents rather than one long-lived one, so flushing the
> parser at the ]]>]]> delimiter is easy.
>
> Literally the very first thing I noticed is that JunOS doesn't put a
> namespace on the <hello> tag:
>
> <!-- No zombies were killed during the creation of this user interface -->
> <!-- user admin, class j-super-user -->
> <hello>
>   <capabilities>
>
> This of course fails to validate against the .xsd schema in Appendix B of
> RFC4741 or 6241, and makes me sad. Similarly, it'll happily take <rpc>
> documents without the correct namespace, though it seems to always
> namespace <rpc-reply>
>
> (
> Other vendors do different variations - Cisco IOS never namespaces
> anything, NX-OS namespaces everything, and so on.
>
> What, honestly, is the point of XML namespaces? No-one ever gets them
> right,
> )
>
> Anyway, the actual question - is anyone using Netconf in anger against
> JunOS, and if so, how do you handle namespaces? Do you just ignore the fact
> that JunOS is broken for <hello>? Are there other places where the
> namespaces aren't handled according to spec?

*Tyler Christiansen | Technical Operations*
tyler <http://adap.tv/>@adap.tv <http://adap.tv/> | www.adap.tv
*m :* 864.346.4095