[j-nsp] Netconf & namespaces

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 13:22:08 EDT 2014

On 12/06/14 17:48, Tyler Christiansen wrote:

> I honestly couldn't tell you--but it wouldn't surprise me.  Data formats
> like XML aren't very good data formats.

Maybe, maybe not. But they're what we've got, so...

> I'd rather stab myself with a rusty fork than use Python.  :)  To each
> his own, I suppose.

Indeed.

> Data formats are going to have this problem forever.  It's not specific
> to NetConf or SOAP.  Standards in general have this
> problem--implementation for a vendor's version of a standard starts, and
> then the standard changes or is improved and the vendor doesn't move
> forward (or at least not as quickly as we would like).

Point taken, though here XML is being used as the transport layer
encoding, and that's a really unfortunate place to have to code in
crufty workarounds, particularly given that the *payload* is part of the
same XML document as the transport :o(

We'd all be a lot better off if Netconf had used HTTP I suspect...

> If you're really into Python/Twisted, you may want to look at Trigger

I've seen trigger. It has some neat stuff, though it doesn't currently
do anything we need. I keep meaning to see if there are bits I can
either use locally or adapt our stuff to it and contribute it back.

But AFAIK trigger doesn't use Netconf - it has a Junoscript
implementation (very similar to the one we have - convergent evolution
etc.) and a generic telnet/expect-alike.

Still, a neat project. If we ever need ACL automation of that type, I'll
look into it.